Sunday, September 20, 2009

SAND CASTLE



Summer warms a cold and lonely heart,
Enlightens a past that was left in the dark,
Setting the soul free from pain and sorrow,
Giving a new hope as the summer days go.


It was Sunday and the dusk is slowly enveloping the sky. The sun has set its rays majestically into the horizon, as though different colors from a painter’s palette have been painted to it. It was a masterpiece indeed. And along this work of art were emotions that I felt within me.

As I was walking on this sunset-drenched shoreline, the sound of the waves gave me a soothing feeling down to my very core. The gentle breeze of the wind blew freely as it touched my whole being. And a mild gust of it to my face brought me a chilly sensation. The grains of the sand while I was walking barefooted slightly tickled me. I paused and decided to sit for a while. I grasped two handfuls of sand and let it slipped gradually from my grip. Ah! I had often dreamt of this very day.

Minutes had passed and the sun faded away to give way to the night. But the soft breeze still sent me the cool feeling. I stood up and started to walk toward a small nipa hut not far from this seashore. I got myself seated at once when I reached the bamboo bench of the humble hut. I laid my tired back while I was gazing up and saw the few stars scattered on the infinite dark blanket of the sky. “The night is here” I told myself,. The serenity of this night brought me peace of mind. The sound of the seashore still persisted in my ears. I closed my eyes and felt this unexplainable feeling.

Time went slow. I heard the sounds of slow footsteps behind me. I was on my deep thoughts and I didn’t look back to see who’s coming. Then suddenly, someone had his hand on my face to cover my eyes. I sat still and started to smell the scent of this someone that lingered in the air. The perfume and the caress of his hand seemed so familiar to me. It reminded me of someone from the past. My heart began to beat fast. He entered my thoughts the moment he spoke.

“Guess who?” he said in a low sweet voice.

My anxieties ended when I heard this voice. I’ve known this for a long time. I removed his hand and saw the owner of the voice. I know for a reason that my heart had skipped a beat. I was set speechless and stacked the moment our eyes met. I almost fainted but tears flowed from my eyes and revived me. I couldn’t stop myself staring at him. Slowly, he touched my face and wiped my tears dry.

“Hush… everything is all right now,” he mumbled.

His hand touching my face, consoled me. A comfort I have long for. I lower down my look and took a deep breath. He held my chin and lifted my face to look him in the eye. He closed his eyes and started moving closer to me. I felt the heat of his breath and the almost spaceless gap between us. I closed my eyes too. I felt his lips pressing into mine. He kissed me so sweet. I received this symbol of affection passionately. I kissed him back. I felt my blood rushing into my veins. It enticed me more to have him in my arms. I embraced him tightly.

“I missed you so bad…” saying this while tears started to roll again.

A long stare and a smile from him gave me the answer. I kept quiet and waited for him to speak. I looked at him and noticed his wearing clothes in white. His looks remained the same since the last time I saw him. Tall, neat and he still owned those beautiful eyes that have captured my heart. His face, his being, I love this man. He held my hand and invited me for a stroll on the seashore. The stars above have witnessed this night we’re together.

We stopped walking, and he knelt down on the sand. He started to grab sands and created something from it. I remained standing and just watched him to finish his work. After a while, he stood up and took my hand while saying,

“This is my gift to you, our sand castle.” He said passionately.

I was motionless and didn’t know what to say. I was half surprised and was moved. He fulfilled a promise he made for me back then. I felt so special, as though a prince is giving something for his princess. I could not suppress the joy I was feeling inside. I kissed him again and hugged him as long as I could.

“I have waited so long for this moment since the day you left. I am still longing to have you in my arms. I miss your touch, your kisses, and your hugs. Oh how I miss you…”

“We both know that I have to go Mia. I was destined to leave…”

“You swore you’re not going to leave me. But you did, Jan.”

“Please understand. I don’t hold the future and I can’t control what God has planned for me. And I swear I do love you. And now, I know this day isn’t worthy of regrets and frustrations about our past nor our future. Let us make the most out of it, please?”


“He’s right. I should not waste any single moment that God has lent us. It’s been ages since he left, and I miss him. I’ll spend this night to the fullest. He might leave again for eternity. I should be thankful, indeed.” I told myself.

We shared our time with so much love between us. We’ve rekindled our past and done the things we used to do before. We played along the shore and went back to where our sand castle stood. We laid down on the sand, and rested for a while. He held my hand again. I could not ask for more. We stared up the night sky with velvet stars.

“When I am gone, I won’t be far away from you. See that star out there, Mia? Look at it each time you’re feeling alone and lonely, I will always be there looking for you.”

I looked at him. I didn’t utter any single word. He turned and looked me with his sweet eyes. He smiled and his love reflected through the windows of his soul. My heart throbbed unusually. He went to reach my other hand and placed it on his chest.

“Can you feel it? It beats so unusual. Do you understand what it says?”

“It tells me how much you miss me, how much you care for me and… how much you love me…” I told him.

It’s true, our hearts beat so odd. He stayed quiet and I didn’t spoke too. I knew deep inside me I was shivering. He moved closer to me again. Slowly, he kissed me again in the most passionate way I know. I just love everything about him from the touch of his fingers to my skin to the warmth of his breathe into my cheeks.

And a feeling of strangeness came in me. He embraced me as if he wouldn’t let me go and kissed me again. Minutes were held back to give way for these moments.

Then, he stopped kissing me and stared to my eyes again. He was in his solitude phase, it was reflected in his own grave eyes. I could guess what would happen next.

“He has to go,” I whispered to myself.

It was time for him to leave. Vulnerable crystals from my eyes began to blur my vision and wet my cheeks.

“Mia, how I wish I could tell you how much you made me happy for this night. But words are not enough to convey these feelings. I know, saying goodbye to you is the hardest part. Yet, someday we’ll see each other again. I will wait for that day to come.”

I held him so close and wanting him not to go. And tears didn’t stop from coming. The joy that was in my heart awhile ago was replaced by sadness. Yet, everything was beyond my control. I have to accept the truth. It’s God’s will for us to part ways. I must set myself free and have to move on…

A cold gust of wind entered my solitary thoughts. A light appeared in front of us. I can hear sweet voices like of an angel singing hymn. He gave me an embrace and he kissed me once more… my last passionate kiss from him.

“Bye for now,” he said as he gave me the sweetest smile I know.

He started to walk away from me towards the light and voices. Eventually, his image became a silhouette and faded from nowhere. The light has disappeared even the voices. My whole body trembled for obvious reason. I sat on the sand still with tears on my eyes. I embraced my own knees and closed my eyes. I was left alone in the dark.

When I opened my eyes again, I found myself on the bench were I sat on the nipa hut. I have fallen asleep from my deep sentiments last night. I guess I could see the sun rising from the east. The fresh morning blew freely as it touched my skin. The sea was perfectly calm and the blue color in the sky started to align again. Then, I remembered something as I looked the sky above. I did have the most beautiful dream last night. I was with the man I love for the entire night. I invited myself to walk on the shoreline to give myself a peace of mind. In my surprised, I found remains of sand castle standing in the exact place where Jan had made it. It was half-swept by the sea waves. And all that was left were traces of ruined sand castle and two different set of footsteps around it. I guess I was not dreaming last night after all…


By: BHELAT

No comments:

Post a Comment